Pages

Tuesday, February 19

Nothing

Martin Aitken when he was younger.
It's amusing at first saying, "Hey, I just read a book!"

"Really? What was it called?"

"Nothing."

Really, it is actually funny saying this. Especially when people think I'm not kidding. But, seriously, being completely serious here, this book has now made me emotionally disturbed.  So I would obviously recommend this to the rest of the world out there though many, many people have already read it in France, Denmark, Hungary, and other European countries. In fact, the version I purchased was actually translated from Danish by a guy named Martin Aitken.

Honestly, this book was emotional. At first when I picked it up, I thought it was a thriller or something along the lines of teenage assassin (not the lame, modern ones nowadays, I mean the cool ones who plan out murders like in this one book I have to still write about).

Instead, it was way cooler.

Now, I like to call myself the ultimate book scavenger. And this book proves my mad skills for getting awesome books.

Okay, let's get to the nitty gritty.

A kid called Pierre Anton one the first day of 7th grade announces, "Nothing Matters. I've known that for a long time. So nothing's worth doing. I just realized that." And he leaves and never comes back.

After his realization, the other kids start acting a little weird, thinking about what Pierre Anton said until finally it sets in that what he said was totally stupid. There is something to live for! A job and love and education! But Pierre quickly says that's all stupid because you get a job and lose it to die, you can fall right back out of love and what is the need for education? To get a job so you can die?

And everyday, Pierre Anton reminds them all as they pass by his plum tree, the one he sits in. He throws plums at them and further irritates all of them until finally, they reach their definite breaking point.

They decide to prove to him that something does matter in life. That life isn't meant to just die.

Eventually, things do get out of hand but they can't stop now when their almost done showing Pierre Anton what life is worth living for.

See what I mean? Pure genius! And the ending was just too good!

Rating: 9.9 out of 10

There seriously were dead points. Not completely but I'm sure if some of you do end up reading this, you'll think it's stupid even though this is an upcoming classic.

Janne Teller does have other books. You can find there names and read about her on her website, (janneteller.dk/?English.)

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!