Pages

Sunday, September 8

Self Confidence

Hello there! This is Hay and it seems that I have a need to write about anything with the word 'self' in it.

Okay, so everyone I know has heard of YouTube and all of the many uses of it: vlogging, rants, skits, and illegal things that REALLY shouldn't be available to seven year olds who lie about their age.

But (apparently) it is also a place for self concious girls to ask millions of strangers whether they are "pretty or not".

Now, I can obviously say that I'm very confident because I post my opinions on the internet for a lot of people to read and comment upon.

Anyway, I was watching a book review (YouTube's good for that too!) and I see in the suggested videos (which are super random and can bring you to weird things...) and I see a video young girl with her face way too close to the  camera asking "Am I pretty or ugly?". I clicked that video out of sheer boredom and as a person with a good self esteem I'm curious to know how people feel.

I watched the video and it bothered me.

If you pulled up a tab and went on YouTube right now and searched 'am I pretty?' in the search box the amount of videos that come up is almost frightening.

Almost everyone of them have a very pretty girl saying that the kids at school tell them that they're ugly and fat or that their parents tell them to wear makeup because they're too ugly.

And I hate the fact that people are that insecure.

When I look at the comments it warms my heart to see things like "yur very prtty and dont let peple brng u dwn" (Even though they type like lunatics) because I'm one of the people who truly belives that the world is a good place polluted with bad people.

I don't like it when people say "Obviously u no ur prtty u jus want atentchun" (Again...the typing is horrific) because it just brings people down and makes the world look hateful.

I know there are some days when I'll look at one of my friends and they'll say "I wish I wasn't so ugly." and I'll roll my eyes and say "You know you're pretty, shut up."

And even though I say this I know that there are people who truly don't see the beauty in themselves.

I know people will say all sorts of things to cheer them up and make them feel better and we all pretty much grew up on the "sticks and stones" rhyme.

But as we grow up we realize that words can hurt a little bit more than they really should. And something as simple as going up to someone and telling them you appreciate them and that they're beautiful can turn their whole lives around and show them the that not everyone's bad.

And if any of you reading feel self concious at times I'm here to say that even if you don't think you're pretty or smart or important or anything along those lines, just know that it really is the inside that counts and someone, somewhere will love all them blood and guts.

So, I have homework for you guys: go up to someone and compliment them.

You could be making someone's day a lot better.

Well, peace out and have lovely lives! I think we know by now Hay is not a depressing person so I'm gonna end this.

Stay awesome!

-Hay

P.S. Oliver Wendell Holmes said the quote in the picture.

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us, are small matters compared to what lies within us."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!